Ginghamsburg Church, a United Methodist faith community, was founded in 1863 out of a small revival preached by Methodist circuit rider B.W. Day in the tiny village of Ginghamsburg, Ohio. Until the 1920s, Ginghamsburg remained part of a four-church circuit for a part-time preacher. From the 1920s on, students from United Theological Seminary in Dayton served as temporary pastors for the congregation.
Pastor Emeritus Michael Slaughter was appointed to Ginghamsburg in 1979 as the church’s first full-time clergy. At the time Ginghamsburg averaged 90 people in attendance. From there, Ginghamsburg grew rapidly as a mission-focused movement that loves Jesus and does something about it.